Melbourne, located on the South East coast of Australia in the state of Victoria, experiences its winter months between June and August each year. Despite that, it may experience volatile weather patterns from May to October, rendering outdoor entertaining a bit of a risky choice. However, outdoor blinds can help turn that situation around, rending any outdoor area usable all year round. Outdoor blinds would typically be installed in an outside entertainment area such as a patio or gazebo. Let’s explore some of the types of outdoor blinds you may find useful.
List Of The Best Outdoor Blinds
There are quite an array of outdoor blind options available, each with their own benefits and drawbacks. Here are some of the most viable options that would be most suitable for prolonging outdoor entertainment area enjoyment in winter in Melbourne.
- Verandah blinds: provide shelter from sun and wind whilst still allowing light through this shade cloth fabric. These can be made as a roller style blind with a metal bar at the bottom to stop them billowing in the wind.
- Cafe blinds are a more functional type of blind providing a high level of protection from winter weather. These blinds roll down at the edge of the entertaining area to block out wind and rain whilst still allowing the maximum amount of light through. As an added bonus, these can come in a tinted variety as well as with zips and tie-downs to make them even more effective.
- Awnings tend to be of a retractable nature and, rather than a blind, are more like an extendable shelter. These are good for when you don’t mind the cold air and when there is little to no wind.
- Alfresco Blinds are a fabric outdoor blind solution made to withstand the UV rays whilst still protecting the area from rain. However, they do boast allowing free airflow and therefore may need to be considered carefully alongside other blind options.
- Ziplock blinds, similar cafe blinds, are made of a PVC material, mesh or fabric, but are fitted to a track system that allows them to be moved around. When they are in place, they form a unified blind offering full protection from the elements.
The Right Outdoor Blinds
Outdoor blinds can be an effective method in prolonging outdoor entertaining area usage in climates that experience volatile weather, including Melbourne, Australia. The right choice in blind will ensure your social or relaxation plans will no longer be at the mercy of an accurate weather prediction. As can be seen, there are a variety of blinds to suit all tastes and budgets, so be sure to carefully consider what you want in your outdoor area as well as how each blind functions. Bear in mind that awnings cannot be out when strong winds are blowing and that some blinds are fabric or mesh, meaning they will be less effective against the wind.