Box Hill is a respectable middle-class eastern suburb of larger Melbourne in Victoria, Australia. Via the motorway it is fourteen km's from the cbd of Melbourne. The current town of Box Hill has an established population of just under 12 000 individuals. For administrative purposes, Box Hill is currently part of the City of Whitehorse.
Before the arrival of Europeans the location had been where you can the Wurundjeri Aboriginal people. The initial European land owner was Arundel Wrighte who had a a pastoral contract for the property in 1938. Box Hill ended up being formally announced a city in 1927 with it rising in the subsequent 100 years into its own city. In 1871, the inhabitants of the township was 154 and it was mainly orchards, wineries and other mixed kinds of farming. During this time the town had been a central market hub for the fruits and vegetables that have been grown in the area at that time. Box Hill was consumed into greater Melbourne in the 50's during the eastern growth of Melbourne. The exact term of Box Hill ended up being chosen at the gathering in 1860 of local people submitted a number of preferred place names. A contest occured and won by a local store owner, Silas Padgham, who was later the initial postmaster of the neighborhood. He had been born in Box Hill in Surrey, England, so this become the term for the new town.
Lately, Box Hill is famous for its substantial Chinese population with over 65% of people not born the country. Box Hill also has Melbourne’s highest high-rise buildings outside the central business district and due to sometimes it is identified as Melbourne's second metropolis. It has today become a key transportation hub for the eastern and surrounding suburbs with certainly one of the most busy suburban train and bus facilities. It has a main hospital that first launched in 1956 and also a major shopping area. The location is supported by three high schools and a TAFE along with quite a few primary schools and pre-schools.
Quite a landmark within Box Hill would be the old Surrey Dive which has been a well-known swimming area. It was never the best lake, but a hole which was excavated to produce clay for a brick manufacturing plant nearby, beginning in 1880 which was filled up with water. There are actually several unverified rumours and accounts about drownings in the Dive. Surrey Dive was made at that time into amongst Australia's leading swimming competition settings. It had been used for competition until the 30's, when a swimming pool area ended up being built beside the Dive. The building of the brickworks still exist however hasn't used for a very long time and has end up being the victom of graffiti artists and vandalism recently. Because of this it is currently fenced off and run down. The large smokestack continues to cast a shadow on the dive. The Dive is currently an ornamental lake and the meet up place for a model boat club. The lake is no longer useful for swimming. The old brickworks is a safeguarded heritage site.